Berrima District Historic Vehicle Club Inc.
     Historic Vehicle Clubs are NOT Museums - and old vehicles are NOT ornaments.
             They best express their character and bring greatest pleasure when they are used for what they were always made to do.

   Home      Historic Conditional Registration Scheme (HCRS)
Historic vehicles


This policy has been produced by Roads and Maritime Services (formerly Roads and Traffic Authority) in conjunction with the Council of Motor Clubs, the Council of Heritage Motor Clubs NSW, the Old Motoring Club, the XW-XY Falcon Owners' Club, the Classic Italian Motorcycle Club and the Velocette Owners' Club.

Roads and Maritime Services registers historic vehicles under the Conditional Registration scheme, which provides the vehicle with limited access to the road network and Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance cover. Historic vehicles registered under this scheme are exempt from the payment of stamp duty, motor vehicle tax and national charges.

Conditional registration is only an option for historic vehicles if the registered operator of the vehicle is a member of a Roads and Maritime Services-approved Historic Vehicle Club and the vehicle's use of the road network is restricted.


An historic vehicle must be 30 years of age or older as from the year of manufacture.

Trailers can be registered under this scheme, provided all the requirements are met.

Vehicles must be as close to original condition as possible, with NO alterations except for safety features such as seat belts and turn indicators or period accessories and options, if desired.

Note: LPG conversions are acceptable providing the Historic Vehicle Declaration is completed by the Club Registrar.

The registered operator must be a member of a Roads and Maritime Services-approved Historic Vehicle Club. Proof of club membership (Historic Vehicle Declaration) must be provided to Roads and Maritime Services prior to establishing or renewing conditional registration. Club membership cards are not acceptable.

Vehicle roadworthiness

A vehicle operating under the scheme must be declared roadworthy by:

  • A safety inspection report (pink slip) issued by an Authorised Inspection Station examiner, or

  • A club declaration of roadworthiness (valid for 42 days) issued by a club official (a safety inspection report must be provided if the club is less than two years old).

    If the vehicle is an historic plant vehicle, a customer roadworthiness declaration must be provided.

Vehicle use

Vehicles can only be used for events organised by their Club, another Club or recognised community organisations provided an official invitation has been received and documented by the Club in the official minutes, or the official 'Day Book'.

Vehicles can also be used on a road or road related area for:

  • Servicing within a short distance from their place of garaging

  • The inspection of the vehicle.

If a longer journey is necessary, the member must notify the Club Secretary so that they can enter the details in the Club's official 'Day Book' or minutes.

Any Club member wishing to use their vehicles for the carriage of persons to or from a wedding or reception should first check their legal obligation under the Passenger Transport Act 1990 with Transport for NSW’s Accreditation and Licensing Section on 1800 227 774 or (02) 9891 8900. The Club must also authorise the use of the vehicle for this purpose.

Vehicles must display conditional registration number plates and a current registration label.

Note: Vehicles registered under the Conditional Registration Scheme still need to display a registration label.

Name bars may be affixed to the number plate provided the positioning of the name bar does not obscure the number plate.


Historic vehicles registered under the conditional registration scheme are subject to the following conditions of operation:

    • 'Registered operator must be a member of an authorised motoring club'

    'Use only in conjunction with an authorised club event or maintenance'

    The name of the registered operator’s Club must be entered as a special condition. If the registered operator belongs to more than one club, the name of the primary club or both clubs may be entered as a special condition as requested. Other conditions may be applied as required.

    The Certificate of Approved Operations, detailing the conditions applicable to the operation of the vehicle, must be carried in the vehicle whenever the vehicle is used on a road or road related area.


    Historic vehicles registered under the conditional registration scheme can tow a trailer that is either fully registered, exempt from registration has a UVP or is conditionally registered.


      Historic vehicles registered under the conditional registration scheme must meet the following requirements if carrying a load:

      • Loads cannot be carried for commercial purposes. Loads must either be the private property of the vehicle owner and/or carried as part of a club event.

      • The maximum load allowed is two thirds of the manufacturers load limit, and

      The load has to be restrained to the performance based standards detailed in the Load Restraint Guide

      Seatbelts and child restraints

      Motor cars, tourers and limousines can only carry one person per seating position. Seat belts must be worn, where fitted.

      Drivers of historic vehicles registered under the conditional registration scheme are exempt from the requirement to fit child restraints when carrying children between 12 months and seven years of age, provided:

        • They have written advice from an authorised engineering signatory that it is not reasonably practicable to install seatbelts and/or child restraints in the historic vehicle, and

        • This written advice is carried in the vehicle when transporting any child between 12 months and seven years of age.

        All passengers under 12 months of age must be restrained in an approved child restraint


        This policy applies to NSW and ACT Clubs listed on Roads and Maritime Services’ database. All members must be financial members of these approved Clubs and must be NSW residents.

        Vehicles registered under the scheme may operate temporarily in other States and Territories, under the same conditions as apply in NSW. Temporarily is considered to be three months continuously.

        Interstate vehicles (operating under a similar scheme in their home state/territory) may be driven in NSW if they legally comply with the rules and regulations of their permit/registration

        Driver Licence type required:

        Appropriate to type of historic vehicle being driven. 

        Who can drive (or ride) a HCRS registered vehicle?
        The NSW RMS advise that as the vehicle is registered in NSW, albeit conditionally, anyone holding a valid licence which the NSW RMS recognise and is suitable for the vehicle concerned can operate the vehicle with the registered owner’s (registered operator's) permission. The rules pertaining to L and P plate drivers and riders naturally apply. There is no NSW RMS requirement for that person to be a member of the Primary Club which issued the HCRS 1259 form. 

        When can you drive an UNREGISTERED vehicle? Answer Here

        A registered operator may or may not be the owner of the vehicle.

        What documents to carry in your vehicle:
        1) Proof of registration (including current registration label, attached appropriately).
        2) Certificate of Approved Operations, (a purple document)
        3) Evidence that you are on a club event should also be carried. The Club's magazine is a good idea (or print out a copy of our "Coming Events" page).
        4) Advisory to carry a copy of your insurance (some events require this to be shown).
        5) Advisory to carry a copy of the email to the Registrar or President notifying of movement, if not "a club event".
        It is also highly recommended that you refer to the RMS website and download the document and leave a printed copy in the glove box of the car:
        When attending a secondary club run or invitational run (I), and your vehicle is registered with HCRS plates you MUST contact the Plates Registrars Eric and Sandra Worner (4871 1620) or the President and advise them of your vehicle’s movements.
        Note: It is in our constitution that a plate identifying membership to the BDHVC be displayed adjacent to the front and rear number plates at all times.
        Please remember to sign the run sheet at club events with details of people and vehicles attending.  Ensure that your details are recorded in the events book circulated at each meeting.  This is to ensure that the movement of conditional registered cars (HCRS) is documented. 
        NOTE: The RMS advises that vehicles on “Conditional Registration – Historic Vehicle” can only be used “in conjunction with an authorised club event or maintenance” and the “registered operator must be a member of an RMS recognised historic vehicle club”.  All "C" Club events listed in Drive Chatter are “authorised” by the BDHVC for RMS purposes.  Note also that members are required to attend at least 3 club events (noninvitational) each year to qualify for renewal.

        When attending a secondary club run or invitational run (I), and your vehicle is registered with HCRS plates you MUST contact the Plates Registrars Eric and Sandra Worner (4871 1620) or the President, Michael Plummer (4628 8221) and advise them of your vehicle’s movements. 

        There is a LOT more good information here on HCRS conditions.
        Also, be aware, that you MUST BE A FINANCIAL MEMBER to use the CRS. If your membership has lapsed then you are UNFINANCIAL and your vehicle is therefore UNREGISTERED and most probably UNINSURED.

        Historic number plates are issued to a member of the club and are not transferable either to another vehicle or person in the event of the vehicle being sold.


        Owners of Historic Vehicles may nominate ONE RMS recognised Secondary Club when registering or renewing registration for vehicles under the Conditional Registration Scheme if they so wish. Where the BDHVC is nominated as the Primary Club the following conditions are to be observed: 

        1  The Secondary Club must be an RMS authorised Motoring Club i.e.:‐ The Secondary Club must have authorisation/ accreditation by the RMS to be a Primary Club and therefore authorise & manage its own members HCRS vehicles.
        2  The Primary Club's HCRS Registrar must be advised in writing when the Secondary Club has been nominated. Full Club name, contact address, name of that Clubs HCRS Registrar with his/her contact phone number will be sufficient.
        3  A HCRS Vehicle sponsored by this Club may be used for events arranged by a nominated Secondary Club after notifying this Clubs HCRS Registrar. These movements must be recorded in this Clubs official ledger held by the HCRS Registrar.
        4  The event is to be recorded in the vehicles log book.